Sunday, August 16, 2009

Motivation


Motivation is the internal condition that activates behavior and gives it direction; energizes and directs goal-oriented behavior.

I am trying to rediscover what motivates me. Is it an external need? Or is it an internal drive?
I do not buy into all the baloney quotes or motivational posters. After awhile they become watered down and transparent. Think about how many posters or signs you might have around you at work....they catch your eye at first but eventually blend into the scenery. There has to be something deep inside that drives us to do what we do.
I will admit I do like to watch a good movie like Rocky just to get my adrenaline flowing. Maybe its the underdog story or willingness to stand toe to toe with the champ and not quit. But that is me deep down inside. Never quitting...
The problem is keeping it all in focus. When the world crashes around you how do you react? What is the goal? The carrot on the stick? Is there a prize or reward at the end of the journey?



Rocky: 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment